Jan 27, 2012

Gloomy Day

I hate that today I woke up and feeling devastated because today's already Saturday. So Monday will be coming up soon. I've had this CNY break for a week, and thank God I really did rest well for a while in a week. But reality is coming soon, I've had these pile of homeworks to do next week. Argghh ! *pounding head on the wall

Okay, enough with the blabbering, moving on to the food post. Last night was quite a sudden decision to make this gyudon japanese beef bowl. Check out how I made it : 


Gyudon Japanese Beef Bowl
original recipe here

Ingredients:


  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp sweet rice wine used for cooking (mirin 味醂)
  • splash of sake
  • 1/2 lb very thinly sliced beef
  • 1 tsp grated ginger

Method :

  • Cook the rice.
  • Now, on to the rest of the "prep" -- Slice the yellow onions thinly and start sauteing on medium heat with some cooking oil in a largeish pan.
  • Mix together the water, soy sauce, mirin and sake.
  • After the onions are translucent, add the beef slices and cook for a minute or two. They'll cook quickly since they are sliced thinly so have your sauce at hand. Add the sauce and reduce heat. Make sure everything gets nicely coated and cook for a few minutes until sauce reduces slightly.
  • Scoop a generous amount of rice into large, deep bowls and top with the steaming mixture. Gyudon, like any donburi, is best served steaming hot! You can optionally top or serve with thin pickled ginger strips (beni shōga 紅生姜) or other pickled items   




Vie's Result : 
Vie's Notes : Instead of slicing the onion thinly, I minced it. Because my housemate don't like the onion to be chopped thinly like in real gyudon japanese beef bowl. The result was quite disappointing. Because of the mincing, I couldn't really taste the onion. Is it the problem? Or not? But at least the taste is quite nice. Maybe a little bit tender would even be better. And I know that I should've put them on top of the rice. I'm also an amateur food photographer btw :p *such an excuse!

No comments: